Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Going our first cruise with the kids....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:23 pm

This August we will be going Carnival Triumph (Eastern Caribbean) with our kids...as well as a lot of other family members. It is a mini-reunion of sorts. DH & I have been on 6 cruises, but never with the kids. My kids are ages 17, 12 & 10. My cousin & his family went on Disney last year, but his kids are 12 & 9. My brother's dd will be with us & she will be 18 by the time we cruise.

Will Carnival let my neice who will be 18 for about 6 weeks when we go hang with her cousin (my 17 year old dd) or will they draw the line in the sand? My dd probably won't participate in the teen activities if her cousin isn't going.

How are the activities for the other age groups? Anything on board that I should definitely look to participate in? I know they will all enjoy it as they have been wanting to go since dh & I went on our first cruise. I just want to be completely prepared...as if that is really possible!

We are arriving in Miami a day early & will be staying at the Holiday Inn Bayside. Other than hanging at the Market, anything we should try to do while there?

Thanks for any pointers.

Towanda
Back to top Go down
HelenB
Resident Expert Family Cruising

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:51 pm

I have never cruised Carnival, but in general cruise lines normally allow a child to move DOWN to the younger age group if the parents request it, as long as they are not overcrowded and the child is not causing trouble. I'm not certain if this applies to 18 year olds though. OTOH, aren't the teen areas on these ships usually very much 'come and go'? I suspect many of the 'activities' are out and about the ship and not necessarily monitored in the same way they are for younger children (in terms of excluding outsiders). Try calling Carnival and explaining the situation and seeing if they are willing to accommodate.

As for Miami, I think the older kids would enjoy visiting South Beach, and the younger ones would probably enjoy Monkey Jungle and Coral Castle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mommycruises.com
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Shared with the kids last week that we will be going on a cruise. They seem pretty excited about this new adventure. Any pointers on getting them ready?

Towanda
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 am

We brought our kids on 2 cruises. They LOVED them! Our youngest turned 18 on the cruise. They pretty much did their own things while onboard.

Make sure you have your dining assignment straight with your group. (your TA can request) Occasionally...it gets fouled up. Check each person's table assignment when you get onboard and fix any errors right away with the Head Waiter.

Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:03 pm

mytee4ever wrote:
Shared with the kids last week that we will be going on a cruise. They seem pretty excited about this new adventure. Any pointers on getting them ready?

Towanda

How old are they? If they're younger, you could try making a paper chain where they rip off one link each day to count down. Explain to them what will happen on the cruise and try to resolve any issues with 'leaving them behind' now. You may also want to discuss what constitutes proper behavior (in the Kids' Club, in the dining room, etc.) to get those ideas down.

On the fun side, have them help you pick out new things for the cruise: a new bathing suit, coverup, hat, etc. Try and find a picture of the type of room you'll be in (especially a night picture with any bunks pulled out) and get them excited about what they will see and where they will be.

You may also want to get them involved in planning shore trips with you!
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:04 pm

The kids are 17, 12 & 10. I ask them almost every day if they have any questions about what to expect, etc. We have recorded the Travel Channel's "Cruising Do's & Don't's", which we have watched in the past, but it will be different for them now knowing that they will be seeing & experiencing some of those things. We have taken them to restaurants, etc, so I'm not overly worried about their dining room behavior.

Getting pretty excited about the whole thing around here!

Towanda
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 am

Sounds like they will have a lot of fun! Since they're older, definitely get them involved in packing/clothing selection (including for formal night) and in planning what you will do in each port. Make sure you have passports for everyone too. These things should get them excited! I know they get *me* excited.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:43 pm

We have their passports already.

Our older dd (17) is the "fashion police" for the house! I can assure you that she will go over what everyone is packing to make sure we don't embarrass her! Laughing The hard part will be keeping her to one 50 pound luggage!

Towanda
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm

mytee4ever wrote:
Our older dd (17) is the "fashion police" for the house! I can assure you that she will go over what everyone is packing to make sure we don't embarrass her! Laughing The hard part will be keeping her to one 50 pound luggage!

Oh that's easy... just make her responsible for carrying all of her own luggage. Wink
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:29 pm

"Oh that's easy... just make her responsible for carrying all of her own luggage. Wink"

Better yet, make her pay the over the weight limit fee! She works part time, so she can definitely pay the fine!

Towanda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going our first cruise with the kids....   

Back to top Go down

Going our first cruise with the kids....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1