Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

AFT OR HUMP???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 am

O.K. all of my fellow freeks! I have a question for all of you, and value each and every opinion given here. We always book a balcony, usually midship somewhere. I was looking at an aft balcony ( on the Explorer) after hearing how much some have enjoyed them. Then I read about those "hump" balconies, and wonder if that would be more enjoyable ( I know, they are all enjoyable Cool ) than the aft. I would like to hear from all those who have been in either one, and why you enjoyed it so much. Appreciate all your input for this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:22 am

cruzinmama wrote:
O.K. all of my fellow freeks! I have a question for all of you, and value each and every opinion given here. We always book a balcony, usually midship somewhere. I was looking at an aft balcony ( on the Explorer) after hearing how much some have enjoyed them. Then I read about those "hump" balconies, and wonder if that would be more enjoyable ( I know, they are all enjoyable Cool ) than the aft. I would like to hear from all those who have been in either one, and why you enjoyed it so much. Appreciate all your input for this one.

I don't know about other ships, but on Millie they put a small, very loud band in the fantail bar behind the buffet at about 9:00 P.M. I don't know about you, but this would have made my use of an aft balcony from then on not very nice. I went back to my own balcony to read, as the band was so loud. From midships I could not hear them.

Dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 am

I agree with you Dan, That would have definitely put a "bug" up my butt. I don't think the Explorer has a pool all the way back there. I know Princess ships do. We were looking at an aft, but the "hump" balconies look very inviting as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:11 am

cruzinmama wrote:
I agree with you Dan, That would have definitely put a "bug" up my butt. I don't think the Explorer has a pool all the way back there. I know Princess ships do. We were looking at an aft, but the "hump" balconies look very inviting as well.

No pool back there. It was in the nice outside area behind the buffet, great place for eating your buffet food and watch the wake, etc where they put a bar a night. Both Century and Millie have this area, and I suspect most ships have something similar. Century did not put a band there; Millie did.

Dan
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:24 am

cruzinmama wrote:

I am usually an Aft girl myself but we had a dead-center hump on the Liberty last year and it was great. Wonderful views and convenient location. For me, it would come down to price, balcony size and what is above and below the respective cabins. Do you have 2 particular cabins in mind? I would be glad to look at them and give you my 2 cents Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 am

Hey Christine,

I was pondering aft 1388, or 8316 ,or 9312, something like that. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:47 am

cruzinmama wrote:
Hey Christine,

I was pondering aft 1388, or 8316 ,or 9312, something like that. What do you think?

That's an easy one Smile Definitely 1388- the corner aft balcony. The cabin and balcony will be much larger than the other 2. I was going to book 1388 when I was looking into the Explorer this summer. The cabin is the size of a junior suite. Only 2 things to be aware of with that cabin. One is that there is a pole in the middle of the room- near the bed- most peole don't have issue with it though. Also, this class of ships has metal superstructure in the aft. However, your view should not be affected on deck 10- more an issue on the lower decks.

Now, if you wanted a hump cabin for the convenience, I would choose 8316 over 9312 because it is more center hump. With 9313, you would probably only be able to see forward. With 8316, you might be able to see both forward and aft. I think the slighly better D1s would be 9320,22,9620,22 and 8318,20,8618,20.

Good luck with your decision and let me know what you pick Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am

Well, The TA knows I requested 1388 when I filled out the pre-booking form so hopefully, that is the one I can get. The pole could have some added entertainment value I suppose Very Happy I'll have to let you know what happens. But thanks for the recommendations for the hump cabins to look at Very Happy .They will be my next choice.
Our Oasis cruise has us booked way up front. I hope to see some dolphins , and ride some wild waves up there.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:19 am

Here is the aft superstructure I was referring to:

Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:21 am

Infamous pole Wink

Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:22 am

1388 balcony:

Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:26 am

My hump balcony on the Liberty of the Seas:

http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/13/71/11/51/34511.jpg
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/13/71/11/51/06011.jpg
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/13/71/11/51/34712.jpg
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:58 am

I had an AFT CORNER on Navigator of the Seas. I'm pretty sure...it's the largest balcony on the ship. (standard balcony room as well)
You could have fit a dozen people comfortably.
You can see pics on webshots of it, I've had over 70,000 people look. (7688)

No noise problems whatsoever. Staring at the wake is so soothing...it really is the best!
No wind back there either...like on the side cabins while underway. The super-structure is something you get used to quickly...not a big deal. Very little soot back there.

Aft Corner Balcony

Enjoy!

Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Wow, great pics Christine! Yes, that view from 1388 is one I would love to try for sure. I can't wait to see what they do after the dry-dock...Do you think they will upgrade bedding and such?

Pete, I have heard about some people getting soot back there, I am glad you didn't have a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Jackie- I do not know what they have planned for the short dry-docking. Upgrading the bedding would be nice though. I heard that they were planning to do mechanical work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to book an aft cabin on a Vision or Radiance class ship. For Voyager class I'd stick with the hump I don't like the superstructure overhang. But this is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Barb,

I think the superstructure thingy is below deck 10, where the aft cabin is, that I was looking at. I wouldn't want that in front of me either. If that were the case, I would definitely book the 'hump". I have just never had an aft cabin before, and thought it would be nice to try something different.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Barb...it made me leary too, when I booked it. Once I got onboard...It didn't bother me. It does mess up your photos a bit...but we got used to it quickly. The corner we had....had one of those giant round window holes in it. You could look out that and still have an unobstructed view. I loved that cabin...but put on your walking shoes...it's nowhere near the elevator or stairs!

Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:07 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE AFT - after all how can you beat this view??

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:25 pm

The walking shoes will come in handy after all that food! Thanks for the pictures. I am thinking since we will be way up front on the Oasis, I should try the aft of the other ship. Nice view!
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Why would you give up a room with a big old stripper pole already installed???? ROFL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Nope, keeping the pole..... Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AFT OR HUMP???   

Back to top Go down

AFT OR HUMP???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1