Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Anybody ever sail on this line?

Its a Norway cruise that starts in Kirkenes and ends in Bergen.
If you know have done this before all info would be helpful the
website was not very informative.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Pete,

I have not sailed Hurtigruten, but I have attended a couple of their seminars. They were previously known as Norwegian Costal Voyage. A few of their ships are large cruise ships similar to what you would find in Alaska or the Caribbean. If anything, they appear to be somewhat upscale.

However, they also have smaller ships that are mostly passenger ferries. If you have a specific sailing in mind, let me know the ship and date, and I'll get you specific information. I have a direct account with them and a decent relationship with the local Business development manager.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks, I have done some research here is what I know.
Its a small coastal ship <3000 tonnes with a small pass capacity.
Some use it as transport from point to point while others can
book a 6, 12 day itinerary. Its a cargo/pass vessel some rooms
have showers and some do not. Some have toilets and some do
not. This particular ship was made in the 1950's. Sailing is going
to be a bit Spartan...I sailed on the USS Orion AS-18 nothing
could be worse than that..

Here is what I want to know..What is there
to see in October from Kirkenes to Bergen. Some are saying
everything from Glaciers, Polar Bears, etc while others
give a less glitsy view. Which is more accurate?

Anyone, Anyone,... Bueller...Sven?
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I talked to a Hurtigrutens rep earlier this week and I think you will enjoy this. I believe you will find the trip less spartan than you are thinking. The company provides mail service to coastal communites as well as just being a cruise ship. Expect some short and multiple stops per day (34 stops on 12-day cruise). The smaller ships allow them to go deeper into the fjords for better scenery. There is a no tipping policy.
You may not see polar bears, but may see killer whales.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks, I appreciate all info
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Here is the detailed itinerary:

Southbound
Please note: Departure and arrival dates and times may vary. Please call for more information.

Day 7 Jan 1 – Dec 31
Kirkenes (depart) 12:45 PM
Vardo 4:00-5:00 PM
Batsfjord 8:30 PM
Berlevag 10:30 PM

Day 8 Jan 1 – Dec 31
Mehamn 1:15 AM
Kjollefjord 3:30 AM
Honningsvag 6:15 AM
Havoysund 8:30 AM
Hammerfest 11:15 AM-12:45 PM
Oksfjord 3:45 PM
Skjervoy 7:45 PM
Tromso (arrive) 11:45 PM

Day 9 Jan 1 – Dec 31
Tromso (depart) 1:30 AM
Finnsnes 4:45 AM
Harstad 8:30 AM
Risoyhamn 11:00 AM
Sortland 1:00 PM
Stokmarknes 3:15 PM
Svolvaer 6:30-7:30 PM
Stamsund 9:30 PM

Day 10 Jan 1 – Dec 31
Bodo 1:30-4:00 AM
Ornes 7:15 AM
Nesna 11:15 AM
Sandnessjoen 1:30 PM
Bronnoysund 5:00 PM
Rorvik 9:30 PM

Day 11 Jan 1 – Dec 31
Trondheim 6:30-10:00 AM
Kristiansund 5:00 PM
Molde 9:30 PM
Alesund (arrive) 12:00 AM

Day 12 Jan 1 – Dec 31
Alesund (depart) 12:45 AM
Torvik 2:15 AM
Maloy 5:45 AM
Floro 8:15 AM
Bergen (arrive) 2:30 PM

Please note: When no arrival/departure time is indicated above, port call is approximately 45 minutes or less. Sailing schedule is subject to change without notice.

Days 1 - 7 (noon) are northbound from Bergen.

Descriptions for the southbound trip in next posting.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Day 7: Kirkenes–Vardo–Batsfjord–Berlevag
After a few hours docked at Kirkenes, the ship will depart upon the southbound half of her voyage, calling during the day at ports passed at night on the trip northward. Crossing Varangerfjord, Norway's only east-facing fjord and a fabled bird-watching site, you'll arrive in Vardo, the easternmost point of the country. Next the ship will round the Varanger peninsula, where archaeologists excavated a community believed to date from 9000 BC. In the evening, the ship calls at Batsfjord, which also boasts the remains of a Stone Age settlement, and Berlevag. Look out for the Tanahorn mountain, which long ago was a Sami sacrifice site.

Day 8: Honningsvag–Havoysund– Hammerfest–Oksfjord–Skjervoy–Tromso
The ship arrives at Honningsvag in the early morning. After calling at Havoysund, she will stop for 1 1/2 hours in Hammerfest, the world's most northerly town. Despite its remote location, it was the first Norwegian town to have electric street lighting and its own power station. Your Norwegian cruise continues south to Oksfjord, whose glacier calves directly into the sea. After crossing open water, you will stop at the old trading post of Skjervoy. You'll dock in Tromso just in time to savor its nightlife. Optional shore excursions are available.

Day 9: Harstad–Risoyhamn–Sortland– Stokmarknes–Svolvaer–Stamsund
The island groups of Lofoten and Vesteralen have some of the most stunning scenery you will see during this Norway travel adventure. Before your arrival, you'll see the captain skillfully maneuver the ship through the shallow waters of the Risoyrenna Channel, where sand banks are visible through the green water on both sides of the channel. The ship will negotiate the narrow Raftsund Strait leading into the breathtaking Trollfjord, before arriving in Svolvaer and Stamsund. Later, the ship heads east across Vestfjord toward Bodo. Optional shore excursions are available.

Day 10: Ornes–Nesna–Sandnessjoen– Bronnoysund–Rorvik
From Ornes, you'll travel through crystalline waters, filled with spawning cod from January to April, and go by lush agricultural fields. Nearly every towering peak you'll see is associated with a local legend. Crossing the Arctic Circle once again, you'll pass the idyllic island of Sandnessjoen. On the approach to Bronnoysund, which you reach this afternoon, you'll spy the mythical Seven Sisters Mountains. Make sure you're on deck when the ship departs Bronnoysund-you'll be impressed by the captain's steady hand! Today's last port of call will be Rorvik.

Day 11: Trondheim–Kristiansund–Molde
Arrive in Trondheim early, with time to visit Norway's largest medieval church, Nidaros Cathedral, and the restored Archbishop's Residence. You'll then sail out through the beautiful Trondheimsfjord, past Hitra, island of deer, and lonely Grip. At day's end, you'll call at Molde, before arriving in Alesund late in the evening in time for a stroll on shore. Optional shore excursions are available.

Day 12: Torvik–Maloy–Floro–Bergen
During the night, the ship will call at Torvik, Maloy, and Floro. The World's Most Beautiful Voyage is drawing to a close. Yet still ahead lies mile after mile of spectacular west Norway scenery: holly trees on Svanoy, the mouth of Sognefjord, and the beautiful archipelago on the approach to Bergen.

Optional Excursions in next post.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:22 pm

DAY 8: Breakfast at the North Cape (Honningsvag-Hammerfest)
May 8-0ctober 7, 6 hours, $184 per person: There is something very special about experiencing the North Cape early in the morning. After enjoying breakfast and spending some time on the Finnmark plateau, board a motorcoach to head southward along the mighty Porsangerfjord. This part of Finnmark is characterized by fishing and agriculture. In the summer, reindeer graze the plains. Rejoin your ship in Hammerfest, the world's northernmost town.

DAY 8: Hammerfest: The northernmost town in the world
June 1-September 15, 1 hour, $44 per person: Hammerfest is the northernmost town in the world. From headquarters of the Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society, a bus takes us to the Meridian monument, a UNE SCO World Heritage site. The column commemorates the first official measurement of the exact size and shape of the Earth. We stop for photos, a brief description, and spectacular views of Melkoya island and the Snohvit liquid natural gas (LNG ) field. In 1891, Hammerfest became the first town in northern Europe to get electric street lighting, thanks to hydropower. You will hear a bit about Europe's first LNG factory, on Melkoya. On the way up Salen mountain, you'll also hear more about Hammerfest's hunting and fishing traditions as well as its history, including its total destruction in World War II . You will also learn about Sami history and culture and, perhaps, will spot some reindeer. Before we return to the quay, we will drive past the local church, with its unique architecture inspired by fish flakes.

DAY 8: Midnight Concert (Tromso)
April 22-September 30, 1¼ hours, $72 per person: In Tromso, enjoy a nighttime concert at the Arctic Cathedral. If you're lucky, the Midnight Sun will come streaming in as the church resounds with Norwegian folk melodies, psalms, and classical song. A truly memorable experience.

DAY 8: The Sami Experience (Hammerfest)
June 20-August 15, 1-1/2 hours, $66 per person: Immerse yourself in Sami culture. Compare gamme, the turf huts Sami live in today, with goahti, the traditional versions. Listen to Sami folk stories and the singing known as joik, while you sample Sami delicacies. You'll also learn about duodji, Sami handicrafts, and will have the chance to purchase some souvenirs if you like.

DAY 9: A Taste of Vesteralen (Harstad-Sortland)
All year, 4-1/4 hours, $97 per person: This excursion takes you on a journey from Viking times, through the Middle Ages, up to present day. First, you'll visit Trondenes Church, Norway's northernmost medieval church, then on to the local historical center, where a millennium's worth of history is presented in original objects, as well as smells and sounds. Feast your eyes on the everchanging landscape on the drive across Hinnoya from Harstad to Sortland. Hidden between the peaks of Vesteralen lie rich, fertile pockets of farmland. While idyllic in summer, they are just as pretty covered in snow.

DAY 9: Lofoten (Svolvaer-Stamsund)
April 1-September 8, 3 hours, $100 per person: Take a motorcoach journey from Svolvaer through the lovely Lofoten Islands. You will stop at an art gallery in Henningsvaer, perhaps the most charming fishing village in this archipelago, where you can see the works of Norwegian artists who have depicted what life at sea was like in the old days. You'll also have the chance to view a fascinating display of photographs of this island chain in all its atmospheric beauty. But don't content yourself with photos; look around and enjoy the stunning vistas that surround you. The trip continues through Lofoten's famous mountain landscapes. Enjoy the views!

DAY 9: Sea Eagle Safari (Svolvaer)
April 1-September 15, 2 hours, $118 per person: After exploring the spectacular Trollfjord onboard the MS Orca, your Sea eagle safari begins. Fish is brought onboard to feed these magnificent birds. Keep your camera ready for this up-closeand- personal experience. The eagle safari lasts from 45 minutes to an hour, and if you're lucky, five or six majestic birds circle the boat at the same time. Then we set our course for Svolvaer, arriving at the quay about five minutes ahead of your Hurtigruten ship. This is an excursion you will remember for the rest of your life!

DAY 9: Lofotr Viking Feast (Stamsund-Svolvaer)
January 1-April 15, October 15-December 31, 3 hours, $139 per person: From Stamsund or Svolvaer, we travel by bus to Lofotr Viking Museum, where you are invited to experience the largest house known from the Viking Age. The chieftain's house has been recreated in full size, with exhibits of finds from the Viking era. The chieftain and the lady of the house want to give you an unforgettable night, as they invite you to join in on a real Viking feast in the banquet hall. Experience the magic and excitement as they make sacrifices to the Norse gods, hoping that the sun will turn to avoid Armageddon. Will we receive a sign from above? After a meal fit for the gods, served with real mead, you travel by bus to Svolvaer or Stamsund, where you board your Hurtigruten ship.

DAY 11: Trondheim with Nidaros Cathedral
All year, 2 hours, $62 per person: Visit the Nidaros Cathedral, Norway's national shrine, and the Ringve Museum, a series of well-preserved timber buildings that house a unique collection of historical musical instruments.

DAY 11: Sverresborg Trondelag Folk Museum (Trondheim)
June 1-September 30, 2 hours, $56 per person: The Sverresborg Trondelag Folk Museum surrounds the ruins of medieval Zion castle. Here, you'll learn what Norwegian life was like, in town and country, from the 18th to 20th centuries. Highlights include a stave church built in 1170; a traditional farmstead; the "Old Town," with historical buildings from Trondheim; the 18th century Gramgarden, for a krumkake tasting; and the visitor center/handicrafts gift shop.

DAY 11: The Atlantic Road (Kristainsund-Molde)
May 1-September 15, 4-1/2 hours, $139 per person: The Atlantic Road, one of Norway's most visited tourist destinations, was the winner of the "Engineering Feat of the Century" prize in 2005. The road is five miles long and built on eight bridges in picturesque surroundings. We start with a short city sightseeing tour in the port of Kristiansund before taking the ferry to Bremsnes. We are now going to visit Kvernes Stave Church, which is thought to have been built in the first part of the 13th century. The church, which is a one-nave stave church of the "More-type," is beautifully located on Averoy and is rich in ornaments. Afterwards, we go to the tavern "Bjarmars Favorittkro," where we are served the specialty of the house: Bacalao-or cooked dried codfish-prepared with local ingredients and served with bread. We finish with a caramel pudding and coffee/tea, before we continuing along the Atlantic Road. Photo opportunities. We finish with a short sightseeing tour in Molde. The famous Norwegian writer Henrik Ibsen called Molde "the town of flowers," but today it's better known as "the town of roses."
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 am

Wow, that was a lot of work posting that. Thank You, very much.
I would say more but I have to go to work and go earn future cruise
dollars. Again ,Thank You for taking the time to post this info.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 am

Adirondack Pete wrote:
Anybody ever sail on this line?

Its a Norway cruise that starts in Kirkenes and ends in Bergen.
If you know have done this before all info would be helpful the
website was not very informative.

Hi, Adirondack Pete
I sailed on the Hutigruten from Bergen to BODO and didn't go all the way up to the North Cape. The boats leave daily but the ship I was on had a Norwegian Accordian player for the entertainer on deck and the dining could be bought at the grill each meal or have a meal plan for the time you are on it. The stops were in small towns and no matter what time it stops it seemed the locals were out to greet the boat...lots of them coming out to see people arrive.. even at 2am ... it was light all night and seeing the midnight sun was the highlight of this trip as well as being able to say I was north of the Artic Circle. If you have never seen the midnight sun, it is worth the trip. I cannot figure it out. I stared at the sun that was slowly setting on the water, it flatened like an egg and began coming up again... WHERE WAS EAST AND WEST.... Amazing. Norway is spectacular! People are friendly and it is impressive.
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks everybody for your help. I am very hesitant about Norway and
glacier tourism as we live in a frozen part of northern NY. My house has
eight ft long windows and I see snow covered mountains all day long.
Since I want to see so much and am relatively new to cruising I try and
book cruises based on things I cannot see or experience at home. However,
it seems very interesting. We have never done a small ship before and this
should be an exciting journey even though we are sailing in Oct and will not
see the midnight sun. We are even thinking of renting a car and going to
Murmansk.

One thing-- for those history buffs there is a coastal battery which has the
original guns from a german battleship Gneisenau

Thanks Again everybody
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:54 pm

October will be "nippy" and not very long sunny days.... I'd be interested in learning more about the coastal battery and Gneisenau... I must tell you a story.

The first time I went to Norway as an exchange student for the Lions club... LONG TIME AGO. I stayed with a family in Bronnoysund (Northern coastal Norway). My host father had a cabin in the Mountains during the war times . He told the story of his Hidding under the wood pile in his cabin and he was shaking and scared as he heard the German soldiers marching by ... That experience affected him for his whole life.

When I was there visiting in Norway he and I went to a movie called "The Cardinal" . He got up and walked out of the movie. He was again shaking and frightened (at the age of 66) when a scene was shown about the "Hitler Youth". War was an ugly time for these Norwegians!
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Yes, Norway played an important role for the 3rd Reich as a
base of operaton for there U Boat Navy and some battleships.
The sister ship of the Bismark the Tirpitz was bombed and sank
in the bay of Hakobotn near Sande Sound. It sank in shallow
water and was salvaged for scrap. The ships generators are
used in a fishing village somewhere and the highway dept still
uses steel plates taken from it. In Orland near Trondheim the
entire gun turret from the Gneisenau is still in place at Austratt
Fort.

PS My father was a sailor who did convey operations during WWII
and my uncle was captured and was a POW. Neither like to talk
about there experiences ,but I find the history interesting. The
ships impress me the most because like liners its a by gone era.
Navy ships today are ugly and all about function and no form. I
served 2 years on a battleship and never tired of staring at her
beauty. Anyway, Norway will be fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Fascinating war history and you knowing the naval history is even more interesting.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Another agent sent me a powerpoint slide show of Norway earlier this evening.
I posted it to http://thevacationstop.com/norway.pps.

Give it time to load, as it is almost 3MB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:31 pm

WOW thanks, Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen   

Back to top Go down

Hurtigrutens, Nordstjernen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: General Questions and Answers-
Jump to: