Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Age for 1st time Disney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks Helen..I wish I had 5 days for disney and 1 week to relax! I hate the go..go pace of theme parks. That's why we love sea days so much
Back to top Go down
HelenB
Resident Expert Family Cruising

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Thanks Helen..I wish I had 5 days for disney and 1 week to relax! I hate the go..go pace of theme parks. That's why we love sea days so much

IKWYM! We did Comic Con last year in San Diego, and on the drive home we stopped at 6 theme parks in 7 days. When we got home I was exhausted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mommycruises.com

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:38 pm

[quote="HelenB]

IKWYM! We did Comic Con last year in San Diego, and on the drive home we stopped at 6 theme parks in 7 days. When we got home I was exhausted![/quote]

Just hearing about it made me exhausted. You sure have lots of theme park in CA.

What's your opinion on cruising from La to puerto vallarta, mazatlan.etc with kids or should I do a caribbean trip? I'm thinking of doing a january 2010 carninval cruise and I'm torn about the splendor from LA or the dream from FL. THey have great jan prices without our military discount. I've never cruised to maxico.
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Honestly, I think the Caribbean is nicer than the Mexican Riviera. The only advantage of the Mexican Riviera is that it's on the West Coast, so it's easier for West Coasters to reach. I think you'd have a fine time out here, but unless you've been *everywhere* in the Caribbean and are sick of it, I think you'll have just as much fun, if not more, there. JMHO Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:28 pm

HelenB wrote:
Honestly, I think the Caribbean is nicer than the Mexican Riviera. The only advantage of the Mexican Riviera is that it's on the West Coast, so it's easier for West Coasters to reach. I think you'd have a fine time out here, but unless you've been *everywhere* in the Caribbean and are sick of it, I think you'll have just as much fun, if not more, there. JMHO Wink

Thanks Helen...that's what I thought...I dont really care as long as I'm cruising. I'm debating whether to take the older ones out of school for 3 days or just go without them. Maybe I should tell them if they have straight A's then yes...if not its a lot of work to catch up on...especially AP and honours classes.

So which cruises do you have planned? I know QM2 for xmas...is that your first cunard cruise?
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:43 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
So which cruises do you have planned? I know QM2 for xmas...is that your first cunard cruise?

We're going on the Crystal Baltic Cruise this August, and we're also booked on the Cunard cruise you mentioned, and then DCL in the Med in 2010, and also the Oasis Halloween cruise in 2010.

After that... I'm interested in Hawaii r.t. from the West Coast in January 2011, but they haven't announced the dates for the group cruise yet. Also, we canceled a Panama Canal cruise on Holland America to do Cunard, so it might be fun to do that in January 2011 instead.

We didn't cruise this January, and it feels like it's been so long... I'm spoiled on this twice a year schedule! Wink

Somewhere in the middle of all of this I'm supposed to update my cruising book... but we're in the throes of putting the house up for sale/moving right now, so that's taken a back burner.

Which ones are you booked on?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:54 pm

I just came back from ruby princess. I have the zoo crew xmas 2010 and crystal xmas 2011. I want to add a few cruises. I just got the tentative school calendar for new year and it doesnt look good. Something about us starting school after labor day, on sept 8 and the semesters...so our break is from a wed to a wed...which is only 7 days....and no cruises that would fit that schedule. I am thinking a 4 day cruise in oct...carnival inspiration or imagination..since those are the only 2 that fit the long weekend my boys have..yet it's football for them so that might not work. Now I'm looking at jan 2010...and I dont think CF has any group bookings there. I'm also interested in that hawaii roundtrip. We love seadays so that would be perfect. Depends on the date. I really like cruising in jan...lower prices and it gets us away from this cold. It's really hard finding time when the kids are in high school and football training (weight training) starts the day school lets out.
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Since my kids are younger, and I don't work in January, we usually take a trip then. You're right that it's a perfect time for a number of reasons! I was really sad not to cruise this past January, for the first time in 4 years!

If you're looking in October, there are lots of 3-5 day RCCL cruises all through that month, and of course there are the Disney Cruises too.

Could your boys do their weight training in the cruise ship gym? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:09 pm

I agree with January...great month to cruise.

Disney doesnt have my oct dates and carnival was practically the only one that had a 4 day one that fit exactly my dates.

They could weight train in the summer on the ship...if the rules allow...they just wont get the credit from the coach....which isnt that big of a deal....a tshirt and team recognition at the end for not having missed. Summer is a lot more expensive...but if that's the only way to cruise......
Back to top Go down
CruiseGirl

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 pm

There is a lot of great information in this thread!

Has anyone been on a Disney cruise in January, and combined it with the parks? I'm wondering if I should try the new RCL/Universal package, since my kids are a bit older.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:16 pm

I haven't been on a Disney cruise in January but I have been to WDW in January. Pro- attendance was on the low side so lines were great. Con- it can be cold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 pm

CruiseGirl wrote:

Has anyone been on a Disney cruise in January, and combined it with the parks? I'm wondering if I should try the new RCL/Universal package, since my kids are a bit older.

I've done 2 separate 7 day disney cruises in january...weather was great. We didnt combine it with parks though. My kids were abou 8-10 age and they loved disney cruises
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 pm

FYI..I just did the disney parks the first week in march and the lines were pretty good. The biggest wait I saw was 40 mins. With the fastpasses we saw a lot.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 pm

I am sooo jealous Penny lol Smile Lines when we went mid-February were out of control. Some were 100-120 minutes. But we still had a wonderful time Smile
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 pm

CruiseGirl wrote:

We have done the park/cruise combo thing in January. It's a great time to go! As for the RCL package, I think it depends on the interests/ages of your family. Younger kids would be able to do more at Disney, while older kids might prefer the thrills of the Universal rides.
Back to top Go down
CruiseGirl

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:00 pm

My kids are 8, 12 and 14. They've only been to Disney once before, but it was a few years ago, and I think they'd enjoy going again now. But maybe they might think everything was too babyish? That's why I'm thinking about the Universal/RCL package.
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:55 pm

My girls are now 12 and 16 and still want to do Disney. They love it. We have not done a Disney cruise yet. I guess it just depends on what your family likes. I have never thought of Disney World of just a kiddie park. There are so many things geared to adults and older children. In fact one of my best times at the park was when my husband and I went one summer when our kids were at camp! We always get the park hopper plus tickets as my girls love Disney Quest and the water parks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree with Greta. There are so many things to do at Disney, and I love it as much as, if not more than, my kids! Even when I was a teenager, there was plenty there to keep me occupied. And there are plenty of '(pre)teen appeal' type rides At Magic Kingdom they have Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear. At Epcot there's Test Track and Mission to Mars. At Animal Kingdom are Everest and Dinosaur, and at the Disney Studios they have the Tower of Terror and the Rockin Roller Coaster. Yes, there are fewer thrill rides than at Universal, but the Disney rides are so well themed that they are *experiences*, rather than just 'rides', if that makes sense.

Additionally, there's nothing stopping you from doing both parks (presuming you have the time/budget). There's nothing wrong with spending a few dyas at Disney, a couple of days at Universal parks, and then boarding the cruise ship of your choice. If you think your kids would like both parks, you can certainly do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   

Back to top Go down

Age for 1st time Disney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4