Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Age for 1st time Disney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Any couple time? Sounds like great places to eat. I havent eaten at many places at Disney...we tend to prefer home cooked meals. But I do like the character meals....they were fun on the disney cruise...better than chef mickey. Our budget is limited...we have a couple summer trips planned.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:30 pm

No, no couple time this trip. Actually, come to think off it, pretty much the only couple time we ever get is on cruises. God, how I love the kids programs! Disney has a few kids' clubs and our son was asking to go one night but I don't feel like changing/making reservations at this point. I was hard enough to get the dining ressies we have now.

I think Chef Mickeys is overrated too. Perhaps consider Ohana at the Polynesian. It is probably cheaper and one of our favorites. It is not a buffet but breakfast comes family style in a skillet and it is all you can eat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:34 pm

I'll have to look into Ohana...I love the polynesian. I was dissapointed since there was a boring valve conference at disney in jan and they were staying at contemporary or polynesian. I really wanted to go but the other engineer was going and with budget cuts they wouldnt send my husband. Now they moved the conference to Texas! It's not like a CLE were you can sneek out of..hubby has to actually stay and learn at his confereneces.
Back to top Go down
HelenB
Resident Expert Family Cruising

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 pm

FWIW, Disney is really hurting this year, so 'peak time' may not be nearly as busy as in past years.

If you want to get some good touring plans/crowd avoidance advice, you can use Tour Guide Mike.

If you're planning on going back to the hotel during the middle of the day, I highly recommend the Contemporary Hotel (for MK) and Beach Club/Yacht Club for Epcot. The Contemporary is the only hotel that allows you to WALK to the gates of MK, and the monorail is a 2 minute ride back on a much less crowded train. The Beach Club/Yacht Club are both walkable to the 'back door' of Epcot which is awesome in the evenings. You can do mornings at another park, go back to the hotel, lounge around and use their fantastic pool, then go to Epcot for dinner in the World Showcase really easily. You can also boat ride to MGM from there.

If you guys want a Disney Cruise Group Cruise, I'm going on the Magic next summer in the Med! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mommycruises.com
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
I'll have to look into Ohana...I love the polynesian. I was dissapointed since there was a boring valve conference at disney in jan and they were staying at contemporary or polynesian. I really wanted to go but the other engineer was going and with budget cuts they wouldnt send my husband. Now they moved the conference to Texas! It's not like a CLE were you can sneek out of..hubby has to actually stay and learn at his confereneces.

Disney conference would have been a sweet deal. Hubby is going to Atlanta in March to certify some equipment at another plant. If is was near Orlando, or any other place really nice, I would try to mooch a trip out of it lol. Definitely check out Ohana, Penny, it is one of our favs for breakfast. We usually leave our car at the Poly and then hope on the monorail to go to MK that day.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 pm

HelenB wrote:
FWIW, Disney is really hurting this year, so 'peak time' may not be nearly as busy as in past years.

If you want to get some good touring plans/crowd avoidance advice, you can use Tour Guide Mike.

If you're planning on going back to the hotel during the middle of the day, I highly recommend the Contemporary Hotel (for MK) and Beach Club/Yacht Club for Epcot. The Contemporary is the only hotel that allows you to WALK to the gates of MK, and the monorail is a 2 minute ride back on a much less crowded train. The Beach Club/Yacht Club are both walkable to the 'back door' of Epcot which is awesom$$e in the evenings. You can do mornings at another park, go back to the hotel, lounge around and use their fantastic pool, then go to Epcot for dinner in the World Showcase really easily. You can also boat ride to MGM from there.

If you guys want a Disney Cruise Group Cruise, I'm going on the Magic next summer in the Med! Very Happy

Hi Helen! Thanks for the info. Actually, I heard that Disney attendance was actually up last year 3-7%. I don't believe the parks are hurting but possibly other sections of the Disney Corp have not been as profitable. Also, in light of the economy, people may not be spending as much money during their vacations. But Disney is smart, they offer these deals and Magical Express in hopes of getting you on property and keeping you their so you all your vacation dollars are spent at Disney.

I agree with your resort recommendations but unfortunately we usually do not stay at the deluxe resorts as we prefer to save money when we can so we can travel more often. We are staying at Coronado Springs this time (a moderate) but usually stay at a value resort or off-site. Years back (pre-child) we stayed at Beach Club- it was great being able to walk to Epcot and Disney Studios. I just can not justify paying $300+/night now when we are in the room so little and the great pool is down for refurbishment. Also, we usually go not get the park hopper option on our park passes. We pick 1 park a day and stick with that park. Saves us $150 Smile

I'll check out your group cruise but 2010 is kind of full for us. We may be able to squeeze in a Spring 2010 trip though Smile Any ideas anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Helen,

Europe air is too expensive for 6 airfares. I agree with crystine about spending my money elsewhere instead of the expensive onsite resorts. Hey as long as I get a good deal to go to disney...it doesnt really matter where I stay...we are gone all day. We usually do one or 2 florida trips a year and maybe squeeze in a cruise in some years so wherever we can save money we will do it
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 am

The airfares for Europe go up and down, but you're right, they're pricier than flying across country. I was joking a bit on the Disney Med. I'm booked, but I don't think anyone else here is. It worked out nicely for us because i was able to apply our onboard nooking discount, and we're going to use a bunch of air miles for some of the airfare.

I agree that you'll have a great time at Disney no matter where you atay. I was simply recommending those resorts as a good place to stay if you wanted to go back and forth to the room. WDW is certainly set up so that the most expensive hotels are the most convenient, and the least expensive hotels... well, you get the idea.

FWIW, we've stayed at both the COntemporary and Yacht Club, but next time we go to WDW (January 2010) we'll be staying at Orange Lake in my parents' time share for free. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 am

Helen,

You are lucky you are able to use your miles to fly to europe. I dont know why the prices have escalated so much. I used to be able to go the europe from minneapolis for around $700 now it's twice as much. I'm envious of your cruise! I'm hoping when disney gets a new ship, there will be lower prices,.....but I am probably dreaming
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 am

When are those new Disney ships due out? That might be a good CF group cruise idea Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:34 am

chrystine wrote:
When are those new Disney ships due out? That might be a good CF group cruise idea Smile

I thought there was one planned...just cant seem to find it now but maybr not. I think people were just talking about it. I cant remember when it is
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:54 am

mnmomof4 wrote:
You are lucky you are able to use your miles to fly to europe. I dont know why the prices have escalated so much. I used to be able to go the europe from minneapolis for around $700 now it's twice as much. I'm envious of your cruise! I'm hoping when disney gets a new ship, there will be lower prices,.....but I am probably dreaming

To be fair, last summer airfare to Europe was outrageous, partly because of the high fuel prices. This year it's gotten much cheaper, and it may again for next year. The point is, you never know until you see the fares. We're on the West Coast, so we often have to go through New York, although if I'm lucky I can find direct flights to San Francisco. Once you are in Europe, flights around the continet are VERY cheap as they have a lot of discount carriers. So if you see a special to ANY major city in Europe, you can always use that to get 'across the pond' and then pick up something cheap to fly around. Or better yet, rent a car and drive to your port from there. There is so much fabulous sightseeing to do in Europe!

Our Disney cruise is r.t. out of Barcelona, so we're planning on flying into Paris (usually you can find good specials for Paris from San Francisco) and then driving down to Barcelona and sightseeing along the way (plus a day at Disneyland Paris of course... I haven't been there in 10 years, which was before kids). On the way back I'm not sure. We may get a cheap connector out of Barcelona to bring us back to Paris, or drive back.

If you *really* want one of the European cruises, keep an eye on it this time next year. As an example, this past summer, the Magic was doing the Mexican Riviera out of LA. Those cruises were so expensive when they first came open for booking, but then the economy soured and a lot of people canceled. Last June I literally booked a cat 12 inside for 3 people for a week for $3,000 on that same 7 day itinerary... 3 weeks in advance! I drove to the port and we were upgraded to a cat 9 outside, which we loved so much we're going to have the same thing for our European cruise. This was an unheard of deal for DCL awhile ago, but they *will* discount cabins if they can't sell them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Helen,

When you go to euro disney, let me know the price. When I was there 10 yrs ago it was about $90 to get in. I'm curious what the prices are with the currency exchange. I wish I could drive to a port...the midwest isnt the greatest location.
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:26 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Helen,

When you go to euro disney, let me know the price. When I was there 10 yrs ago it was about $90 to get in. I'm curious what the prices are with the currency exchange. I wish I could drive to a port...the midwest isnt the greatest location.

On the West Coast there aren't too many ports to drive to. San Francisco doesn't have THAT many cruises going out of it, and in LA/San Diego you can only do Mexican Riviera r.t., although Princess is starting to offer r.t. Hawaii out of LA. It would take us a day to get to Portland and well over that to get to Seattle, but Seattle is only good if you're doing Alaska (not my favorite place). Clearly those on the East Coast and in FL/GA have much easier access to fun cruise ports.

You might be able to drive to some ports from the midwest. It might take you a day, but it would likely be a lot cheaper than flying, especially for a large family.
Back to top Go down
Cruiseram
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi Chrystine and mnmomof4 Smile I have been reading your Disney posts. I thought I posted a reply yesterday but I don't see it anywhere. Chrystine you answered me on another thread about some Disney questions. We are going in June and have the Coronado Springs booked also, so I am very curious to see what you thought about it. Mnmomof4 looks like we will sail together on the 2011 Crystal Holiday Cruise. How old will your kids be then? My son is 5 so he will be 8 then.
I have not heard much about the childrens programs at Christmas, have you?
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Cruiseram- I will let you know how it went when I return. I'll try to post some pics too. This is our first time at CSR. We ate at one of the CSR restaurants during our last trip to Disney several years ago and thought the resort was beautiful so we decided to stay there this time. With the pay for 4 get 3 free promo Disney is offering now, it only cost us a few hundred dollars more to stay at CSR (as oppose to All-Star or Pop Century).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Cruiseram....nice to hear from you. My sons are 15,13,and 3....and my daughter is 1.5 Not sure if the oldest will go it's his first year in college in 2011. I hear their might not be a children's program if not enough kids. I hear maybe 40-50 kids total on a xmas sailing. Will be nice to have someone with younger kids to do some excursions with. 3 of you going? What are you going to disney?

Helen...what do you think of the princess beds? I went on them a few weeks ago and I couldnt sleep well. We want to do a hawaii roundtrip but I'm worried about the beds. I even had 2 egg crates and it was a brand new ship
Back to top Go down
Cruiseram
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Chrystine, I look forward to your pictures and your opinions. We also booked the 4/3 deal, the only choice in the moderate category was Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach. I found an Unofficial Coronado Springs Resort website and the pictures looked really nice and I also read that all of the rooms either have been or they are being redone, so that kind of make my decision.

Mnmomof4, yes there will be the 3 of us, hopefully my husband will be able to take off the 2 weeks at Christmas. We are going to Disney in early June. It will be our first time, so I am very
excited.

So any tips or recommendations you Disney veterans have, I am all ears Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Cruiseram...your son is the perfect age to go. I have been getting videos of some disney movies (toy story, monsters, bug's life, buzz lightyears etc) so that my 3yr old can get acquainted with the characters and get more excited. My first time at disney was in 1978...so I have seen things change over the years. I miss the old jungle cruise...I always loved that one as a child.
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:55 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Helen...what do you think of the princess beds? I went on them a few weeks ago and I couldnt sleep well. We want to do a hawaii roundtrip but I'm worried about the beds. I even had 2 egg crates and it was a brand new ship

I've never had a problem with them, but then I've never had a problem with any cruise bed. You may be more attuned to thee things. The only thing that's ever bothered me is the 'crack' if the beds aren't strapped together right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:57 pm

HelenB wrote:
mnmomof4 wrote:

I've never had a problem with them, but then I've never had a problem with any cruise bed. You may be more attuned to thee things. The only thing that's ever bothered me is the 'crack' if the beds aren't strapped together right.

Thanks for your view Helen. Maybe I got spoiled since I few months before I cruised on carnival..they have amazing beds
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Carnival beds really kick-ass on the other lines. Princess has the worst beds IMHO also. Carnival beds are like a slice of heaven...

Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Carnival beds really kick-ass on the other lines. Princess has the worst beds IMHO also. Carnival beds are like a slice of heaven...

You are so right Pete! After our last Carnival cruise, we decided to purchase their bedding ensemble- sheets, comforter, etc..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Me again with some Disney questions. I'm sure Michele would have some good suggestions also but she is lucky enough to be on the Indy. I'm reading about the different parks and I know I will want to do magic kingdom at least 2 days. They will also like animal kingdom. Remember my kids will be just under 2 and just turned 3. I'm worried that they will be scared on some rides. Will there be enough worthwhile to see at hollywood studios and epcot to keep them entertained. Should I just do 1/2 day of those parks and then enjoy the rest of the day at the pool? Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm

IMHO, Epcot isn't great for super young kids. That being said, I know people who have brought their kids there and really enjoyed it. I think the biggest things to see would be Turtle Talk with Crush and the Nemo ride at The Living Seas. Maybe Soarin' if your kids meet the 40" height limit. The CIrcle of Life movie is appealing if your kids like the Lion King.

The World Showcase tends to be boring for many small kids, and the other rides are more 'thrilling'.

I know people who swear by character interaction at Epcot. If you love characters, then the lines there are much shorter than at MK. But I recall you said your kids weren't into that. I also have a friend whose DD loves the 'Kidcot' stations at the World Showcase, where kids can do a craft at each country.

So yes, I'd say a ha;f day at Epcot. reserve a nice sit down lunch to make the most of it. There are a number of wonderful restaurants there!

MGM is also not really attractive to little kids, although there are a couple of stage shows (Little Mermaid and Playhouse Disney) that might appeal to them. But off the top of my head I can't think of any rides there. If they like Toy Story, the Pizza Planet and Toy Story characters are there. I'm not sure it's worth a visit at all to the park with your kids that small.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   

Back to top Go down

Age for 1st time Disney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next