Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think of the proposal to reorganize the news groups?
Do it now! It looks great to me!
77%
 77% [ 23 ]
I kind of like it. See my suggestions below.
23%
 23% [ 7 ]
What are you thinking? There's nothing wrong with the way things are now.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
qkdo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:22 am

The layout looks really good. Thank for the good work Steve. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks Steve for taking this on! You rock!

I have a couple of suggestions (I know, doesn't everyone Laughing )

Let's combine some of the sub forums, there seems to be too many of them...

Starting with -

Message Board Info
Move Board Host up top with Message Board Info section

Group Cruises
- move the Oasis info in with the group cruise section
- group cruise booking form should be here too
- Group Cruise Proposals

Travel Agent Section
- Ask a travel agent
- cruise deal of the week
- Travel Agent Directory
- Cruise Advisories
- Embarkation Forms
- Cruiseline Websites

Then all of the lifestyle forums like
--Family
--Scrapbooking
--Single Cruiser
--Wedding
--Pets
--Health
--etc
all should be under one heading - Lifestyle Cruising or something to that effect with their own subforms

Individual Cruise line Boards all one heading with the cruiselines subdivided into alphabetical order

Everything can be moved into fewer than 8 subject headings. Then each board will be a subforum within that heading. It will be easier to find things that way.

If you need any help, please let me know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:39 am

And after re-reading your original post on this thread, it seems like you intend to turn it into about 8 headings? So just say "shut up Michele" Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:40 am

agree with making subject topics.......I see now there are 3 or 4 areas for group cruises......they should be under one.........

But I like how its all coming together..................good work!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:

Steve,

It looks great to me. Are we not going to do roll calls or did I miss them on your proposal? If we are my suggestion would be not to call them "roll calls" as the other site does. Maybe call them "All ABoard!!" or something like that. That would be my only suggestion.

Ron,

It was not left out by intention. That's why I started the thread and posted an example, so folks could tell me what needed to be fixed before I went and implemented this.

Do you think "All Aboard" should be a sub category for each ship, in section 5, or a separate top category? The advantage of putting them with the threads of section 5 would be to make it so you find your ship and then the sailing. The advantage of putting them in a separate top category is to find all the "roll calls" and then find your ship and sailing. I'm not sure which I would prefer. Thoughts?

Steve

Steve,

I think either would work, but your idea to put them in section 5 seems to be the better option in my opinion. That way all the info is with the ship. They can find thier "All Aboard", read a review, etc., just by locating their ship. I can't wait to see the finished product!!! See you in NY in a month?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:05 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
And after re-reading your original post on this thread, it seems like you intend to turn it into about 8 headings? So just say "shut up Michele" Laughing

no problem......"SHUT UP MICHELE!!" How did I do? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:07 pm

Ronrocks wrote:

putz stickingtongueout
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:14 pm

lol!

fight nice, kiddies!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:

putz stickingtongueout

I just did what you said. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks Steve! I like the changes and I like kk99 suggestion too!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Steve, looking great! Thank you for all the work you're doing for us!!
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Ronrocks wrote:

Steve,

I think either would work, but your idea to put them in section 5 seems to be the better option in my opinion. That way all the info is with the ship. They can find thier "All Aboard", read a review, etc., just by locating their ship. I can't wait to see the finished product!!! See you in NY in a month?

It's going to take a while, but it is now in progress.
I will be in NY for the show, but only for Saturday and Sunday. It will be a busy week for me. I have to Fly to St. Petersburg, FL on Monday evening for meetings on Tuesday through Thursday. Fly home on Thursday night, work Friday at my day job and then drive to NYC on Friday night.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:58 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:

Steve,

It's going to take a while, but it is now in progress.
I will be in NY for the show, but only for Saturday and Sunday. It will be a busy week for me. I have to Fly to St. Petersburg, FL on Monday evening for meetings on Tuesday through Thursday. Fly home on Thursday night, work Friday at my day job and then drive to NYC on Friday night.

ouch.......sorry? Well let me know if I can do anything to make this process easier for you.
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Terrific! My only comment/ question is: the page now does get rather long, is there any way to have a link to a 2nd page? Simply a NEXT page section for the forums?

The way it is now I find it much easier to find something and it is nicely done.

Thank you!!!
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 pm

VoyagerOne wrote:
Terrific! My only comment/ question is: the page now does get rather long, is there any way to have a link to a 2nd page? Simply a NEXT page section for the forums?

The way it is now I find it much easier to find something and it is nicely done.

Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, no there is no way to do what you suggest. Hopefully once the reorganization is done, the main page will be much smaller. It will take some time to complete the whole reorganization, as new categories need to be created and messages need to be moved. I hope to have the whole process completed within 10 days or so. In the mean time, you may find notices in Forums where topics have been moved. Just click that notice and it will take you to the new location. When everything is done, I'll delete the "moved" messages.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:56 pm

You're not done yet!!!! Wink kidding!! hide
Back to top Go down
coo359a2al
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Ivanova wrote:
That is already possible to do. Go to your profile, then preferences. Click "yes" for the question "Always notify me of replies :
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post."

Thanks Susan. I am still trying to learn my way around.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:51 am

I've reorganized all the 2009 Group Cruises. I followed the pattern I originally proposed, but after looking at it, I thought it took too many clicks to get to the specific place I wanted.

So, take a look at that area right now. The first cruise, QM2 on July, 1, 2009, is set up as a single forum, with the "cruise information" as announcements and stickies, and the "general discussion" as the main part of the forum. The other 2009 cruises are still the way I originally proposed.

Would you rather see them they way I originally proposed, or the way I changed the first cruise?
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 am

I like the way the QM2 is done. It did take me awhile to find it but that could be that I'm not quite with it this morning. Laughing It was also confusing to me on where to click to get to the forum part not just the info. If you are going to have the banner (which is where I clicked first) I think it should link to the forum portion as then we can get the information. As it is now we get the info about the cruise. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:22 pm

I am a bit at sea.
I log on and only get a very tidy single page with a scroling screen on the left hand side highlighting the most recent messages. Is this how it is supposed to be ? What about scrolling all over the site for intesting topics ? Am I missing something ? I can use the search but how can I search for somethng that I don't know about ?

confused confused
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Steve, I see what you are asking. Yes, the way you have the July QM2 forum set up is great. It's one click to the forum and if anyone wants info on the cruise then all they need to do is to look at the top of that forum. They should all be set up like that.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:32 pm

i have a question. is there a way to make this website larger on my phone internet or my ipod wifi connection? any technie that know the answer to this? or is there a mobile download for this site?
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:40 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
i have a question. is there a way to make this website larger on my phone internet or my ipod wifi connection? any technie that know the answer to this? or is there a mobile download for this site?

This site is not optimized for anything other than a standard browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.). I'm not sure that it could be optimized for mobile phones. Given that the site is using free forum software, and not a unique development, and we don't have developers on staff, I don't think you'll see a mobile version anytime soon. Sorry
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:43 pm

lordoftime wrote:
I am a bit at sea.
I log on and only get a very tidy single page with a scroling screen on the left hand side highlighting the most recent messages. Is this how it is supposed to be ? What about scrolling all over the site for intesting topics ? Am I missing something ? I can use the search but how can I search for somethng that I don't know about ?

confused confused

I must admit, I am confused about what you are asking.

What you are describing is the Portal. What I am working on is reorganizing the Forum. It is possible that the Portal may change in the future, but that is not this month's project.
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Oh Sorry Steve,

I usually enter the forum by clicking on a link and thus bypass the portal. In fact the portal has the search tool which is useful. Could that be made available in the main forum itself also ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   

Back to top Go down

Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next