Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What do you think of the proposal to reorganize the news groups?
Do it now! It looks great to me!
77%
 77% [ 23 ]
I kind of like it. See my suggestions below.
23%
 23% [ 7 ]
What are you thinking? There's nothing wrong with the way things are now.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Can't wait until it's all changed up and ready for the "masses" to take over!!
Back to top Go down
duke214
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:56 pm

Wow....took a lot of organization. Great job Steve. Smile One vote from me.
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Would you have to move all the messages over ? Surely some that have been inactive for say two months could be discarded ? This would also make 'cruising' the forum easier !
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:47 pm

That's something we'll talk about and consider. Thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:15 pm

Looks great, Steve!
I think it will make it much easier to find what you're looking for on here.

Thanks~!

Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
That's something we'll talk about and consider. Thanks for your input.

I didnt vote, since Im not sure what Im voting for. confused??!!

OK here is my comment. For instance I click on the Cunard forum and there is a thread named "QM2 Holiday sailing" so I click on it, and it turns out that its only for the Christmas 2009 cruise. To me our July 1st QM2 cruise which goes to Boston Harbor for July 4th is also a Holiday QM2 cruise.

Everything is all jumbled up under each cruiseline name. There is no place to click to see if there are threads just for your cruise missed without reading a lot of others.

Maybe there is a way to put each groups threads in their own section under the cruiseline name?

As this forum grows, there will be more and more cruises for each cruiseline and folks making the threads of course seem to post them as if theirs is the only CF cruise, which maybe used to be true. I was just trying to explain to someone how to find the threads for her cruise, not so easy ...
Back to top Go down
qkdo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Looks pretty clean Smile Nice job Smile Steve
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 pm

flowers wrote:

I didnt vote, since Im not sure what Im voting for. confused??!!

OK here is my comment. For instance I click on the Cunard forum and there is a thread named "QM2 Holiday sailing" so I click on it, and it turns out that its only for the Christmas 2009 cruise. To me our July 1st QM2 cruise which goes to Boston Harbor for July 4th is also a Holiday QM2 cruise.

Everything is all jumbled up under each cruiseline name. There is no place to click to see if there are threads just for your cruise missed without reading a lot of others.

Maybe there is a way to put each groups threads in their own section under the cruiseline name?

As this forum grows, there will be more and more cruises for each cruiseline and folks making the threads of course seem to post them as if theirs is the only CF cruise, which maybe used to be true. I was just trying to explain to someone how to find the threads for her cruise, not so easy ...

If you notice the organization I proposed, I separate all the official Cruise Freek's Cruises from all other cruise chatter. The goal there is to make it easier to find threads to specific CF cruises. Another proposed section will be organized by cruiseline and perhaps even by ship within that cruiseline.

All of these ideas will be discussed among the TA's in early January before we make any changes. Of course, if we make changes, and then folks think that things still aren't the best they could be, we can tweak things as needed.

Thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
If you notice the organization I proposed, I separate all the official Cruise Freek's Cruises from all other cruise chatter. The goal there is to make it easier to find threads to specific CF cruises. Another proposed section will be organized by cruiseline and perhaps even by ship within that cruiseline.

All of these ideas will be discussed among the TA's in early January before we make any changes. Of course, if we make changes, and then folks think that things still aren't the best they could be, we can tweak things as needed.

Thanks for your input.

My specific question was will each CF cruise be separated from each other, not just one section for all the CF cruises and then one for chatter. That's what Im not sure if you are talking about. There are threads both under Cunard and RCL where the person starting the thread doesnt say which CF cruise they mean and it could apply to more than one CF cruise. That's why Id like to separate the different CF cruise threads for each CF cruise. I know it doesnt hurt to read all the threads...
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 pm

flowers wrote:

My specific question was will each CF cruise be separated from each other, not just one section for all the CF cruises and then one for chatter. That's what Im not sure if you are talking about. There are threads both under Cunard and RCL where the person starting the thread doesnt say which CF cruise they mean and it could apply to more than one CF cruise. That's why Id like to separate the different CF cruise threads for each CF cruise. I know it doesnt hurt to read all the threads...

My intention is to separate each CF cruise into its own category of threads. The whole point is to minimize the confusion.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:01 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
flowers wrote:

My intention is to separate each CF cruise into its own category of threads. The whole point is to minimize the confusion.

thanks, Ill vote yes lol
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:28 pm

I like it but I am a visual learner so I would have to see it first. I think I followed how it would be set up though. Thank you for doing this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 pm

thevacationstop wrote:

[*]Ports of Call
[list=1][*]Caribbean
  1. Port 1
    1. Tour Recommendations
    2. Activities
    3. General Discussion

2. Port 2(copy structure for each port)
  3. Port 3

In a few places like this, I think the outline splits things up too much. I would favor stopping at Port level without breaking it up into activities, tour recomendations, discussions.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Triangle wrote:

In a few places like this, I think the outline splits things up too much. I would favor stopping at Port level without breaking it up into activities, tour recommendations, discussions.

I can see that. Any other areas that need trimming? Other suggestions?

I'm going to start creating new categories in the forum this week. I plan to keep the new ones locked until it is all set up so as to minimize confusion. I'll then move the most recent messages to their new locations, lock the old locations, and unlock the new locations. The process of moving, locking and unlocking will take some time so I ask everyone's patience while the forum undergoes some "construction work".
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:36 pm

I know you will do a good job Steve!

Love ya,
Mom

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:57 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
Below you will find a proposal for reorganizing the news groups for the Cruise Freek Forum. The goals of this proposed reorganization are to make navigation easier, make it easier to add new topics, and generally make it easier to find what you are looking for. The hope is that all of these changes will increase the overall participation on the forum. Please vote in the poll above, and add your comments to the thread below.

1. Board Information

1. Announcements
    2. Board Rules

2. Contests

1. Contest 1

1. Rules
      2. Prizes and Winner’s List
      3. Clues, Entries, etc.

2. Contest 2 (copy structure for contest 1 as many times as needed)
    3. Contest 3

3. Official Cruise Freek Group Cruises

1. New Cruise Proposals
    2. All Booking Forms

1. Cruise 1 (repeat as needed)
      2. Cruise 2
      3. Cruise 3

3. 2009 Cruise Information

1. Cruise 1

1. Cruise Info (ship, itinerary, pricing, etc.)
        2. General Discussion Board

2. Cruise 2 (copy structure for cruise 1 as many times as needed)
      3. Cruise 3

4. 2010 Cruise Information (copy structure for 2009 as many times as needed)
    5. 2011 Cruise Information

4. CF Official Travel Agent Directory

1. Agent 1

1. Contact information
      2. Certifications and Specialties
      3. Agent Specific Q&A

2. Agent 2 (copy structure for Agent 1 as many times as needed)
    3. Agent 3

5. Cruise Discussions and Reviews

1. General

1. Ask a TA (general questions)
      2. Newbies
      3. Other General cruise discussion

2. Specific Cruise Lines

1. Carnival

1. Celebration

1. Reviews
          2. General Discussion

2. Destiny (copy structure for each ship in the line)
        3. Pride

2. RCL (copy structure for each cruise line)
      3. Regent

3. Ports of Call

1. Caribbean

1. Port 1

1. Tour Recommendations
          2. Activities
          3. General Discussion

3. Port 3

2. Alaska (copy structure for each part of the world)
      3. Mediterranean

6. Specialty Forums

1. Family Cruising
    2. Golfer’s Forum
    3. Gay and Lesbian travel
    4. For the Gambler
    5. Fashion
    6. Pets
    7. Anything else (add other categories as needed)

7. Gallery
    (Either an actual picture gallery, or a place to put links to places like webshots.com. Possibly have this area grouped by cruise line, ports of call, area of the world, or by user. Not sure what is best)
  8. Everything Else (non-cruise travel or anything else not covered above)
  9. Travel Agents Only
    (Discussion area for TA’s and Admin only. Limit to Official TA’s or open to all registered real TAs)

Steve,

It looks great to me. Are we not going to do roll calls or did I miss them on your proposal? If we are my suggestion would be not to call them "roll calls" as the other site does. Maybe call them "All ABoard!!" or something like that. That would be my only suggestion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Triangle wrote:
thevacationstop wrote:

[*]Ports of Call
[list=1]
[*]Caribbean

1. Port 1

1. Tour Recommendations
    2. Activities
    3. General Discussion

3. Port 3

In a few places like this, I think the outline splits things up too much. I would favor stopping at Port level without breaking it up into activities, tour recomendations, discussions.

I don't know about the outline splitting things up too much. I think Steve has done a great job. The way he has it set up makes it pretty easy to navigate. The way he has it set up now will keep people from having to dig too much to get the information they are looking for.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Ronrocks wrote:

Steve,

It looks great to me. Are we not going to do roll calls or did I miss them on your proposal? If we are my suggestion would be not to call them "roll calls" as the other site does. Maybe call them "All ABoard!!" or something like that. That would be my only suggestion.

Ron,

It was not left out by intention. That's why I started the thread and posted an example, so folks could tell me what needed to be fixed before I went and implemented this.

Do you think "All Aboard" should be a sub category for each ship, in section 5, or a separate top category? The advantage of putting them with the threads of section 5 would be to make it so you find your ship and then the sailing. The advantage of putting them in a separate top category is to find all the "roll calls" and then find your ship and sailing. I'm not sure which I would prefer. Thoughts?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 pm

I think I would prefer a sub-category with each ship.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
frudutx
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1619
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:12 am

lolomeme wrote:
I know you will do a good job Steve!

Love ya,
Mom

Love your ticker!

d
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:46 am

The roll call I think should be under the ships area. You find your ship and add a topic for your sailing if there isn't one already. A post-it under the ship's name could be used to redirect people to a CF group sailing.

My thought on not splitting port into sub-cats is:
I want to read info on let's say Dominica. Why go to three sections when I want to know it all (activities, tours and what people say about it generally). I couldn't imagine reading just post on tours without reading the other areas, but I am obsessive about my travel. Aren't we all?

If you want something more specific, the Search function works great.

Final thought is the long rules legaleaze section which I read as closely as I do my microsoft software disclaimer be placed last. Maybe have a summary of the rules up top with full thingee at the end.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 am

Thanks Diane & John,

We will be on the 2010 Mystery cruise too! I haven't made a ticker yet! Waiting to see if our health stays good until then! It is a long way off!

Lois

Back to top Go down
cruiseforme
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2007-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:39 am

Is it possible to put the 'sections' in alphabetical order???????.......Makes it much easier to find things!!
Back to top Go down
coo359a2al
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:09 am

Could you have it where you receive an email letting you know that someone has posted to a thread you have posted on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 am

That is already possible to do. Go to your profile, then preferences. Click "yes" for the question "Always notify me of replies :
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups   

Back to top Go down

Proposal to reorganize the newsgroups
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next