Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:47 am

Well since we started to discuss the best, let's talk about the worst (or not so great) excursions for Families.

Are there any excursions that you have done that you have regretted later?

Grand Caymen - Butterfly Express tour
I wouldn't say it was truly awful or anything. But I wouldn't rank it as one of the best. The tour takes you to a place that looks like a house. You walk into the backyard (literally) and it is enclosed with nets. They do a talk about the butterfly stages and you walk through the area.

The entire time it would take to walk the entire area would be about 5-10 minutes. Unless your family is REALLY interested in butterflies, then I would schedule something else.

We took some pictures. Got some souvenirs. But we wouldn't do it again. Wink
Back to top Go down
HelenB
Resident Expert Family Cruising
Resident Expert Family Cruising

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Hmmmm.... hard to say. We generally don't take the kids on any excursions we don't think they'll like. Also, we're 'do it yourself' people as much as possible.

That being said, the kids weren't too thrilled with the city tour of Mazatlan we took, and they weren't able to do the zip lines with us in Puerto Vallarta. Tehy were not very interested in any of the Alaskan shore excursions either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mommycruises.com

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:34 pm

The Hato caves in Curacao ... bad, bad, bad!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:09 pm

OK, I am steering clear of city tour of Mazatlan. Thanks Helen.

Now Susan, what was so bad about those caves in Curacao?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:19 pm

Michele,

When you think of caves you think underground and cool, right?

These aren't. You hike up about 50 steps up the side of a hill, and the inside of the cave is significantly much more humid and hot than the weather outside. And inside the cave there were about 150 steps to hike down (and then back up) My family now refers to that excursion as the Bataan Death March.

I'm just glad I went scuba diving that day ... and them doing that excursion was against my advise (so I got to say neener neener told you so). Wink
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:49 pm

the one that comes to mind is in barbanos we took a mine trip, when you got in the little cart they gave you a paper napkin to put on your head under the helmet you have to wear, well that wasn't so cool probably people were getting head lice is what i thought about, and that did it the itching started, but the caves were pretty cool and nice,
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:31 pm

The "champagne" snorkel in Dominica. There are geothermal vents offshore, and the snorkel tour is advertised as like "snorkeling in a champagne glass". Well, the reef is okay at best, and I did see a bubble or two, but hardly what was advertised.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:00 pm

darlene wrote:
the one that comes to mind is in barbanos we took a mine trip, when you got in the little cart they gave you a paper napkin to put on your head under the helmet you have to wear, well that wasn't so cool probably people were getting head lice is what i thought about, and that did it the itching started, but the caves were pretty cool and nice,

That's what you get when you don't believe your favorite brother in law on what excursions you should take...WITH ME. geek
The best ship excursion I ever took was in Barbados...the same day as your mine trip! Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
darlene wrote:

That's what you get when you don't believe your favorite brother in law on what excursions you should take...WITH ME. geek
The best ship excursion I ever took was in Barbados...the same day as your mine trip! Laughing

sorry it wasn't that time when i was in barbados with you, it was when marni and i went on the monarch because you didn't want to come and cruise with us.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:04 am

Oh yea...when you left without me. I remember. It was my first case of...CBA.

Cruise-Buddy-Abandonment.

I can't discuss it....I'll have more flashbacks!

Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Wow, I would never do that to you Pete..
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:28 am

thanks Ron!

Looks like we have 2 RON's on the board.....

We'll call you...the GOOD Ron.

The other one is the EVIL Ron!

Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Bad Excursions.... Any trip you take and then after its over you sit down for dinner and find out your table mates did the same thing and more for less $$$!!!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Ha! I'm always....>THAT GUY!
(who over-researched the excursion and booked at a lower rate) Very Happy

Either way...we all had fun, right?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 pm

I think any excursion that includes Ron should be included in this thread
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Great point Hef!

No. A great excursion would be a snorkel trip where they let Ron pilot the boat.

"Captain Ron, Captain Ron!" roflmao

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?   

Back to top Go down

Worst Family Excursion or one your wouldn't recommend?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1