Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

repositioning cruises

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: repositioning cruises   Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:16 am

I would be interested to hear about anybody's experience on repositioning cruises. They are typically less expensive but does that mean the crusie experience is less pleasurable in any way ? ie faster speeds meaning more motion sickness ? less choice of food ? reduced entertainment options, etc ?
Back to top Go down
TV Guy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:19 am

I've done a few repo sailings - the only real difference I ever experienced was more time at sea and for me that isn't a bad thing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 am

I have take a couple of repo cruises and there is no difference in the quality of the cruise. The only difference can be in airfare costs.
Back to top Go down
Babbscruise

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:54 am

Do they schedule more activities because of extra sea days? We see some great prices on these cruises, but don't know if we would get bored without more port stops. Thanks and have a great day.
Babbscruise
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:30 pm

We did a 14 day repositioning cruise to Alaska last year and loved it! It started in Vancouver. We got 5 ports in Alaska, instead of the usual 3, and also got to stop in Seattle, Astoria and San Francisco before ending in Los Angeles.

I was having a hard time trying to decide which ports we wanted to go to on a 7 day cruise to Alaska, and this was the perfect solution!
Back to top Go down
Bibb
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:31 am

We have done a couple and we're scheduled on an 8-day Repo the 29th of this month. Fort Lauderdale to Panama hitting Jamaica, 2 ports in Columbia, Costa Rica and Panama. As said above, a day or two extra at sea and slightly higher air fare.
Back to top Go down
http://bklongcrier.com
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 am

I've completed about 6 different repositioning cruises on RCCL and Celebrity. We love them. The only thing that I really notice is you sometimes have difficulties with the port facilities because the ship hasn't been stopping or disembarking at the destination port for a while, if ever. Our repositioning that ended in Norfolk took forever to disembark and the taxi situation was difficult at best as they weren't ready for the number of passengers disembarking. I would expect a slow disembarkment and be excited if everything runs smoothly.
Back to top Go down
frannieburr
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:48 pm

oh just love the repostioning cruises... less expensive lots of time at sea and more people to meet to become lifetime friends
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:06 am

I am glad to see everyone is so positive.
I saw a 'repo' advertised from Shanghai to Seattle. It was weeks long and very inexpensive per day. Many many sea days , which I prefer. Has anyone ever taken that one ? Shanghai seems not very well served by the big cruise lines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:06 am

Shanghai sounds so exotic - love to see it someday.

The "repo" I took was a spring Transatlantic crossing to Italy.

Just as others have said - lots of sea days but also more lecturers and activities to keep you entertained.

The price was incredible and the food and service were as good as ever (Celebrity) so I would do it again and hope to soon. We used air miles and never got around to using the other half of the ticket cuz mom's cancer recurred. Otherwise it would have been a great opportunity to use the other half to fly back for a repo in the other direction that fall.
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:45 pm

I visited Shanghai on a business trip. I loved it. It was late fall and a bit chilly but in the mornings the park across the street was filled with people doing all forms of morning routines , some with swords, some with scarves, flags etc.
These were not for tourists but just for themselves. Also people would bring caged birds to hang in the trees so the birds could socialize. In the evening someone would bring a CD player and play dance music and many people would do Latin and ballroom dances. I was the only foreigner watching. The people were so friendly they invited me into the dances even though we couldn't speak to each other. I spent every evening thereafter at the park dancing.

Unfortunately Shanghai is not well frequented by cruise lines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:35 pm

That sounds magical.

What year was your trip?
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 pm

It was Ocotober 2007.

There is a negative about Shanghai. The number of people trying to sell you imitation watches on street corners is annoying when you are wandering down the main shopping street. But you eventually get used to giving them the brush off.

I was also approached by an art teacher and actually bought several of his excellent paintings. I gave him twice the price he asked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:58 pm

We did a repositioning cruise just this past October on Grandeur OTS. From Baltimore to Tampa, 11 nights. It was wonderful. If you love sea days, and we do, it is a really relaxing time. We had to miss our stop in Grand Cayman as there was a hurricane heading directly for GC. We stopped in Cozumel instead. Would do another RP cruise anytime. Great experience.

Wendy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:15 pm

ah - well unless you needed to do some offshore banking in Cayman, I think you got a more splendid port in Cozumel!!

Yes - repositioning cruises work just fine for me, too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: repositioning cruises   

Back to top Go down

repositioning cruises
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1